It’s almost time for the kids to go back-to-school. I know exciting, right!?
Along with all that excitement also comes some stress…
- • Will there be tears at bedtime?
- • How long is it gonna take to get them out of bed?
- • I have to make school lunches everyday?
These are just a few of the concerns I’m sure all parents have. Here are my tried and true mom hacks for surviving the back-to-school madness…
- 1. At least 2 weeks before school starts, get into a routine – set a bed time and an alarm for the morning and stick to it. Get all the fighting and tears out of the way now, so you can still look fresh at the school drop off…oh I’m sorry, did you think I was talking about your child having a hard time with it?
- 2. Talk to your child – Are they just starting kindergarten? Will they be going to a new school? Find out what they’re scared of, what they’re excited about and what they want to accomplish this year. Being prepared ahead of time can alleviate some of that stress and make back to school time easy and fun for everyone, kids included.
- 3. Label everything – School supplies can be expensive! Remember that $15 water bottle your child just HAD to have and after them telling you the 89th reason why, you finally gave in because you didn’t want to hear it anymore? Now, picture them losing it the first week into school…
- 4. Prepare lunch ahead of time – Putting together lunches for the entire week or even just the night before takes one of the hundred things you need to remember off your list and gets you an extra 10 minutes of sleep. Wahoo!
- 5. Make healthy snacks easily accessible – Place a container or a long cardboard box in the fridge and throw some snacks inside. This makes the snacks easy to access so when your busy family is on the go, you can just whip them out when needed; on the way to the school bus, in between extracurriculars, an after school snack…now your kids won’t go hungry and they can’t complain there’s nothing to eat since they’ll be staring them in the face!
Note: If you’re looking for examples of which snacks are ultra-convenient and pre-packaged or easy to package, we like; muffins, fruit & vegetables, cheese & crackers, iÖGO nanö with it’s new packaging available in pouches, tubes, cups and spill-proof drinks at most supermarkets. There’s also a new line of flavours with fruit and veggie combinations that taste great like banana-squash and blueberry-beet! Our personal favourite is the Apple-Strawberry & Yogurt iÖGO nanö pouches made with real fruit puree. My oldest kept saying “It feels like I’m eating baby food!” but both boys couldn’t get enough and they squeeze their way through that sweet mixture right down to the last drop.
As if being a Drill Sergeant in the mornings wasn’t bad enough, now add that to the hundred other things you have to get done in a day…no wonder “mommy brain” is so common. I promise if you use the mom hacks I listed, your life will be a little easier!
Want to win a $250 VISA + iÖGO vouchers?
Starting on September 6th, tweet a photo of what your first day of school looks like for a chance to win 1 of 2 Back-to-School Prize Packs. Don’t forget to use #ReadySetNanö to be eligible to win. Check the hashtag closer to the date for info. Good luck and I can’t wait to see what the first day of school looks like for you.
Disclosure: Although this post has been generously sponsored by iÖGO, the opinions and language are my own.