Story time in our home usually consists of myself reading in funny voices, trying to imitate my thoughts on what each character in the book would sound like. Our kids seem to enjoy it a great deal more than my husband’s “robotic” reading voice and I find that they stay interested in the story longer, regardless of how exciting it may or may not be.
Children can have such short attention spans that this tactic may only last a few pages and it’s only a matter of time to move onto another way to keep their interests piqued.
StoryPlay is a NEW line of books from Scholastic Canada created for children ages 3-5. Each book includes:
- • Interactive prompts throughout the entire story
- • Bonus activities including; dancing, singing and getting to know your child a little better
- • A focus on pre-reading and reading comprehension; for example “Count how many times you see the letter I in the story.” from I Love You Because You’re You or “What do you think is going to happen next?” from Shoe-la-la.
- • Developmentally appropriate subjects
- • Educator vetted
- • Great value at only $7.99 each
- • Collectability – the fun doesn’t stop with the Spring 2017 release, a total of 8 more titles will be released between Summer and Fall 2017
Spring 2017 StoryPlay Titles
Each shines a spotlight on important topics for this age.
Dinosaurumpus by TonyMitton and Illustrated by Guy Parker-Rees
“A rollicking, rhyming story about dinosaurs dancing — focuses on science.”
Snuggle Bunny by Kate Dopirak and Illustrated by Cori Doerrfield
“A sweet, rhyming story about a bunny who loves to cuddle — focuses on socialization.”
Shoe-la-la by Karen Beaumont and LeUyen Pham
“A fun, rhyming story about four girlfriends searching for the perfect party shoes — focuses on self-expression.”
I Love You Because You’re You by Liza Baker and Illustrated by David McPhail
“A sweet, rhyming story about the love between a little fox and his mother — focuses on emotions.”
StoryPlay is a fun way to read together and in my opinion a wonderful way to spend some quality time with my 4-year-old. It’s become a part of our nightly routine, something we do, just the two of us right before bed. Asking questions and getting my 4-year-old involved in the story, not that I can ever get through an entire story without questions or guesses of what will happen next but with StoryPlay the interruptions are warranted.
ENTER TO WIN…2 Canadian readers will have the chance to win the complete Spring 2017 collection of StoryPlay from Scholastic Canada featuring; I Love You Because You’re You, Snuggle Bunny, Dinosaurumpus and Shoe-la-la. Giveaway open to Canada only ends 01/30 at 11:59 pm EST.