I’m not a breakfast person – I have a cup of coffee first thing in the morning and that usually keeps me going “hunger-free” for at least an hour or two. This is how I’ve always been, even as a kid.
The days I don’t work out of the house this is okay because I can eat whenever I want but on the weekends when I work, this means getting up earlier than I normally would. This sucks because I know that breakfast is important. When my tummy is rumbling, there is no way I want to try and make any child smile for their family photos.
How do I overcome this?
By pre-making food the night before that’s easy to just grab-and-go in the morning, so if need be I can eat on the way to work or snack in between photo shoots! Muffins, breakfast cookies, and bars…
NO BAKE ALMOND OAT SQUARES
- 2 cups oats
- ½ cup raw almond butter
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup ground flax seed
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips or raw cacao nibs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut (for topping)
- In a large bowl combine oats, flaxseed and chocolate chips.
- In a small bowl, mix together the syrup, almond butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour the syrup mixture into the oats and mix well until all ingredients appear "wet".
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and pour in the bar mixture. Use an additional piece of parchment paper and place it on top. With your hands, press the mixture down into the pan until it's even.
- Remove the top parchment paper and sprinkle with coconut. Press the coconut down into the bars with a spatula.
- Place the pan into the freezer for thirty minutes to set. Remove and cut into squares. Let thaw five minutes before eating.
Bloggers note: using cacao nibs will make the bars have a bit of crunch but using chocolate chips will make them sweeter
Make these Almond Oat Squares your own by adding your favourite ingredients; for example chopped almonds, raisins, hemp seeds…the best thing about these breakfast squares – they will be delicious no matter what you add to them!