The summer months are an inevitable time for BBQs – loading our tummies with great food and having drinks all while catching up with loved ones that our busy lives sometimes take us away from.
Sound like fun? Of course it does!
But when all that fun starts catching up with us and starts to cause stomach cramps–like my love for chocolate, coffee, fully loaded burgers and wine does to me–the fun suddenly stops. The gut cramping starts and it all goes downhill from there.
Research has found that 74% of Canadians specified they experience stomach cramps at least some of the time and there are certain foods potentially linked to these tummy troubles that we consume 5-7 times per week.
Here are 6 ways to ease stomach cramps and enjoy summer…
- 1. Skip that extra cup of coffee. It can be relaxing to have a few cups of coffee sitting on the deck watching the kids play in the sunshine or catching up on your favourite blogs. Instead opt for some ice water or decaffeinated tea instead of that second cup of java.
- 2. Stay away from greasy foods. Juicy burgers and hot dogs at those BBQs I mentioned earlier, are tempting but remember to not overlook the other options available such as vinegar-based coleslaws and salads. Load up your plate with leafy greens and a light dressing or bring along a lightly seasoned chicken breast or some fish and ask your host to cook it up for you.
- 3. Choose fruit over sweets. A yummy fruit salad can be just as good as those chocolate brownies your mom sent over…Oh, who am I kidding? It may not taste as good but your stomach–and your backside–will thank you later. Just stay away from apples, mangoes and watermelon fruits known to cause bloat.
- 4. Avoid stress and anxiety whenever possible. This may not always be easy and perhaps you can’t since life is full of surprises but if at all possible don’t let life get you down, think positive and if all else fails step back, take a breather and de-stress.
- 5. Have a back-up plan. If all else fails make sure you have Buscopan® a product designed to relax the muscles that are causing the stomach cramping and ease your pain. You can find Buscopan® behind the counter at your local pharmacy.
- 6. Listen to your gut. Whatever the food may be – if it was a trigger before chances are it will be a problem again. Stay away…very far away!
Don’t forget to speak to your local pharmacist for more information on Buscopan® and visit StomachCramping.ca